20 December, 2011

Glitter Ball Garland

One day I found this fun video tutorial for glitter ball garland on Martha Stewart's website. I love glitter, so I decided to try making my own version of the glittered garland. I also created a little tutorial if you want to make your own festive holiday garland as well!

(I did this project in to two separate days, to allow plenty of time for the glue to dry).

Day One Supplies

-Elmer's glue
-Bamboo skewers
-Styrofoam balls, in a range of sizes between 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter
-Glue brush
-Small disposable pan for glue
-Water cup filled half way with water
-Glitter (I used Martha Stewart's tinsel glitter)
-Scrap piece of paper to catch glitter
-An old cardboard box

Directions

1- Pour glue into disposable pan container.

2- Thin glue slightly with water.

3- Stick bamboo skewer into styrofoam ball to act as a handle. Then paint glue onto styrofoam ball.

4- Cover styrofoam ball completely in glue.

5- Above a piece of scrap paper, sprinkle glitter onto glue-covered ball.

6- Cover ball completely in glitter. (Don't worry about sprinkling the glitter too carefully, I found it was faster to take off the top of the glitter container so I could pour the glitter all over the ball).

7- Use scrap paper to funnel excess glitter back into glitter container.

8- Stick the skewered glitter ball into top of old cardboard box and allow to dry.

Repeat until all styrofoam balls are covered in glitter. Allow them to dry completely. (I let mine dry overnight).

Day Two Supplies

-Glittered styrofoam balls that have been removed from bamboo skewers
-A couple clean bamboo skewers
-Tape
-One skein of fairly thick yarn

Directions

9- Plan out the order you want your glitter balls to be in on your garland. (I used a lot of different colors in my garland, so this took me awhile to decide what I liked best).

10- Attach the end of your skein of yarn to the flat end of a bamboo skewer using strong tape. Try to tape the yarn tight against the skewer to help keep it from sliding off. (I had to re-tape the yarn multiple times, but I found the tighter I taped it, the longer it stayed on).

11- Using the taped bamboo skewer like a giant needle, poke the sharp end of the skewer all the way through a glitter ball. (I poked the skewer through the hole I had started in the ball earlier when glue-ing the glitter onto the ball).

12- Pulling the skewer through the styrofoam ball, thread the ball onto the yarn.

13- Thread all the glitter balls onto the yarn, spacing them a few inches apart. Leave enough yarn on the ends of the garland so you can hang it up, and then trim the end of the garland from the skein of yarn.

Look how much glitter was all over my table! I would recommend working somewhere where the glitter can be easily cleaned up.


Now you have a beautiful glitter ball garland! I hung mine over the mantle, but I think it would look pretty around a Christmas tree, or draped in front of a window too. Also, depending on the colors you use, you could use it as a decoration for other holidays or birthdays as well!

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I'll bet your family is so happy to have you there making beautiful things for them. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I love glitter on basically anything. :) These turned out beautiful. Great decorating idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I've commented on this before. These are beautiful! I love them (I love all things glittery). I put it on Pinterest because they're so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I LOVE glitter too. :) Thanks for putting this on Pinterest, that's so cool.

      Delete